Choose two or three vegetables from different categories below. Thinly slice them or, for leafy greens, slice/tear into bite-sized pieces.
Other leafy greens
• Bring a pot of water to a boil.
• Drop first vegetable into the water. When the vegetable turns bright (about 10-12 seconds), remove it with a strainer and place on a serving plate.
• When the water returns to a boil, plunge the second vegetable into the water. When it turns bright (about 12 seconds), remove it with a strainer.
• Repeat for the third vegetable.
• Toss ingredients together and serve.
The vegetables should be bright and crunchy. The secret to a great blanched salad is to slice the vegetables finely and to cook them only a few seconds. You can watch them turn bright in the pot. When that happens, remove them right away, since they will continue to cook for a short time in their own heat after you put them on the plate.