1 onion, chopped
1/2 cauliflower, cut into flowerets
3 cups water
large pinch sea salt
optional garnish: chopped parsley, scallions, dill, cilantro or freshly ground black pepper
• Place all the ingredients except the garnish in a pot and bring to a boil.
• Lower flame and simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes, or until the cauliflower is tender.
• Allow to cool. This can be speeded up by placing the pot in a sink of cold water. (See note below.)
• Blend in a blender until smooth.
• Return to the pot. If the soup is too thick, add water.
• Reheat and serve with garnish.
You could sauté the onion in olive oil before adding the cauliflower and water.
If you use an immersion blender, you don’t need to cool the soup first. But if you use a regular blender, you need to cool the soup before blending, or the liquid will explode when you turn on the blender and make a mess.