1/4 cup umeboshi vinegar (available in most health food stores)
3/4 cups spring or filtered water
Sliced vegetables such as:
1/3 Cauliflower or
1 Onion or
8-10 Red Radishes
• Choose one type of vegetable. White vegetables seem to work especially well in this recipe. Wash and slice the vegetables.
• Place the vegetable slices in a bowl or large-mouthed jar and cover with the liquid.
• Place a weight on top of the vegetables, such as a drinking glass that fits neatly inside the jar, or a small plate that fits inside the bowl. Ideally, the weight should not fit too snugly. It’s best to have a little air for the pickle to “breathe.”
• Let stand at room temperature for about 2 to 3 hours.
• These pickles will keep in a covered jar in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 weeks.
For the pickle to work, the vegetables must be completely submerged in the liquid. Therefore, make sure you have enough liquid to cover, using a 1:3 or 1:4 ratio of ume vinegar to water.