According to traditional Chinese medicine and macrobiotic thinking, meat, poultry and many types of fish stoke your internal fire, whereas tofu helps to disperse heat and cool the body. That makes it the perfect dish for sweltering summer days. This cool tofu dish will satisfy your protein cravings while keeping you cool as a cucumber.
1 package firm tofu, drained and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 sliced scallion
generous splash shoyu
1 T dried bonito flakes (optional)*
• Steam the tofu for 5 minutes. Allow to cool.
• Toss with the other ingredients and serve.
• Choose organic tofu, since most conventional soybeans are genetically modified.
• Steaming the tofu makes it more digestible. Raw tofu is harder to digest.
• Dried bonito flakes can be bought in Asian grocery stores.